Re: Business name changes and collection titles

Title: RE: Business name changes and collection titles

Hi Thomas,

To complicate things at our theatre, we changed our name from Oregon Shakespearean Festival Association (incorporated in 1937) to just Oregon Shakespeare Festival for common usage in 1988, but since we are a membership organization we are still OSFA for membership, board of directors and annual meeting purposes. I recently found out that a new person in the accounting office tried to file something official under the name OSF and it was sent back to be redone as OSFA.

In writing the history of the organization the Marketing and Communications office uses OSF instead of OSFA even when referring to those years, but if I write about it I distinguish between the two. If the M&C dept. is quoting from our founder though, they will use OSFA if it is a part of the quote.

In the Administrative or Legal records in the Archives I mostly organize them chronologically so they naturally fall under the name by which they were created.

We had a theatre branch in Portland, OR called Portland Center Stage the first year of its operation. People were not connecting that name with us, so we created OSF-Portland for the second-sixth years. When the theatre later spun off from us they reverted to PCS as it was known earlier.  I continue to list items from the first year under PCS.

Some people continue to call us the Ashland Shakespeare Festival or just Ashland, which is why when we changed our e-mail and web site from orshakes.org-some people thought of an orgy-to osfashland.org, we mollified those people. We were trying to get just osf, but old spaghetti factory already had that.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with all the business mergers.

Kit Leary
Oregon Shakespeare Festival