Re: Business name changes and collection titles

I have also been wrestling with name changes for a collection.
We received a large collection from the "Men's Camellia Club"
of Pensacola many years ago and they have conscientiously added
to this over the past twenty years.   However, a few years ago,
they changed their name to the "Pensacola Camellia Club."  Recently
the current historian took me to task because the collection is titled
"Men's Camellia Club" insisting that I need to change the name of
the collection.   I have not yet answered that question.

But in a different light, we acquired the records of a law firm that is
still operating, but upon looking at the materials, they were actually
the records of the firm from 1906-1930 under an entirely different
name.   Wishing to emphasize that name, but also not willing to
insult a wonderful donor, I titled the collection as
"Blount, Blount, and Carter Collection of the Beggs and Lane Papers."
That gives me leeway to give a different but appropriate title to any
additions from the same company that are in a different period of
time and when the company has yet a different name.   I only hope
that "Beggs and Lane" never changes its name, however its founder
E. Dixie Beggs died last year at the age of 96.   He came in here doing
research in 2000 when he was only 95!

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338