FW: Business name changes and collection titles

Title: FW: Business name changes and collection titles

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure whether your comments about local practices were directed to me or not, but I have a few comments.

Tom Berry asked the initial question and I mentioned a few complications-like the fact that our business office uses one name and all other offices use another name.

This is why rules don't always help. You need to go with instinct for clarification. It's not "seat of the pants."

I, too, am a library school-based trained archivist and I do rely on rules when I need to.  In fact, if I were still working in the historical society setting and received this collection of business records, I would use the latest form of the name for the collection title and cross reference to the previous names. Perhaps I would even make a reference to Ashland Shakespeare Festival even though that was never the name of the business. As for Portland Center Stage (both old and current versions) and OSF-Portland, I would lump seasons 1-6 together as OSF-Portland (the latest version of those six seasons). I hold on to the name from the first season internally because it was the premiere, and also to establish the historical context and the connection to the history of the currently operating theatre.

I don't see a problem with organizing chronologically, by either library or archival standards. With an organization, it shows when the change occurred.

I am the guardian of history around here, so whatever any other office calls us-or patrons or press-I need to verify facts.

Kit Leary
Oregon Shakespeare Festival