Human Subjects

Greetings:

NMU's Human Subjects in Research Committee, the group that oversees such
research on campus, insists that I revise the NMU Archives' oral history
release form to include language that specifies the interviewee's consent
to submit as a human subject in research.  Moreover, they want the form
re-titled, "Consent to Act as a Human Subject."

Has anyone else out there had to contend with such a demand?  I do not
believe that oral history interviewees fit the definition of human subjects
in research, a definition that invokes images of needles and psycho
manipulation.  I plan to take a stand in opposition.  Has anyone else out
there had to deal with such a thing?  If so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks for your help!
Marcus
_________________________________
Marcus C. Robyns, CA            To be and not do is not to be at all
Assistant Professor / University Archivist
Vice President, NMU-AAUP
Northern Michigan University                    mrobyns@nmu.edu
1401 Presque Isle                               (906) 227-1225
Marquette, MI 49855                             (906) 227-1333 (fax)

First they ignore you.
Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.---Gandhi

Visit the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives at:
http://www.nmu.edu/archives/archives.htm