Re: Human Subjects

This has come up several times at the 3 medical institutions where I have worked
over the last 16 years.  So far we've gotten around it, but you may need a
decision from the institutional review board that usually oversees university
research.  Grant-funded projects are especially subject to this kind of review.
Frankly, it may be easier to include the phrase than to do battle.  You might
want to send your question to the oral history listserv, which you can probably
locate by going to the Oral History Association website.  You can get those urls
off of google.com, of course.

It would be helpful to see what kind of oral history agreement you're currently
using.  Has it already been approved by the legal department?  If so, you at
least have a position from which to argue.  Gather oral history agreements from
other institutions with which you're affiliated and show them to support your
argument as well.

Hope this helps.

Lesley W. Brunet, CA
Archivist and Assistant Director for
Historical Resources Center
Research Medical Library
University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center