Re: irrlevant but serious question

Apologies for late response:

many 'web-zines' have a critics board where people send their submissions
for review by the editors and other members.  These are sometimes of dubious
use, and get pretty vicious if unmoderated (and sometimes from the
moderators).  Poems are, however, submitted directly to these 'boards'.  If
that was the nature of this listserv, then the author suffers from bad
research.  If this was simply a discussion list, I think you are pretty much
describing a theft, this person's poem being provided to the public without
the author's knowledge or consent.  It only appears to be grey because the
discussion list was connected to the publication.  Without some warning or
notice that submissions would be published/reviewed on the list, that
doesn't seem to make much difference.

What is more disturbing to me is that the editors do not appeart to view
their product as a publication; in print, there would be no question --
there would never be a submission printed with scathing comments, etc. in
the journal or a related newsletter, for example, without the author's
knowledge.  Electronic publications present a new and exciting venue for
literature and the arts; to see this unrecognized by the editors of the
magazine is unfortunate.

Stephen
"Mild-Mannered Archivist by Day"

-
I belong to a listserv themed around a web-zine. The editor of the webzine
posted a poem to the listserv that had been submitted to the zine but been
rejected (because even by this stupid zine's standards, it was horrible).
The
other members of the list proceeded to comment (unkindly) on the submission,
and I can't seem to convince any of them that this is at least unethical and
perhaps illegal.