Re: irrlevant but serious question

<<I belong to a listserv themed around a web-zine. The editor of the webzine
posted a poem to the listserv that had been submitted to the zine but been
rejected (because even by this stupid zine's standards, it was horrible).
The
other members of the list proceeded to comment (unkindly) on the submission,
and I can't seem to convince any of them that this is at least unethical and
perhaps illegal.>>

In the absence of a posted submissions policy that says "if you send it to
us, that makes it ours to do with as we wish," publication without
permission is theft.  Plain and simple!  Since I am sure the poem's author
did not submit it to be published as an example of rejected material, I see
no way the editor can claim to have acted ethically OR legally.

(wearing her "other hat" for the moment)
Nina M. Osier, Director
Division of Records Management Services
Maine State Archives
Nina.Osier@state.me.us