From: Childs-Helton, Sally [mailto:schildsh@BUTLER.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 9:28 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Traveling tape recorder

 I used a Marantz Superscope PMD series for extended fieldwork and got
excellent results under some pretty poor recording conditions, so I would
continue to recommend those.  For interviews, Marantz makes a journalists'
machine, two head, two speed (7/16 and 1 7/8 ips, the slower speed to save
tape) machine that works well for interviews and oral history.

In the meantime, however, I know people who are taking high-quality
recording mini-disc players into the field and enjoying both the high
quality of the recording and the extreme ease of portability.  Whatever you
do, it's important to take a backup machine with you, and a machine capable
of making backup tapes/discs (or a laptop that will let you save sound
files).  You don't want to be in the field with the only copy of your
interviews.  It's a good idea to mail copies home, or if you have the tech,
send them home by way of the internet.  Make sure you have sufficient
batteries/discs/tapes, or that you'll have no trouble getting them in the
field (in Japan this is not a problem!).

I'd be tempted to wait until I got to Japan to buy the recorder/disc
machine, but it also helps to have the equipment a while to learn to use it
correctly and comfortably.  The last thing you want is to discover you
forgot to flip one small but very important switch that caused your machine
not to record.  Many a fieldworker has missed an interview because he/she
forgot to turn on the mic!  Good luck!

Sally Childs-Helton
Butler Unversity