Re: BEST METHOD(S) FOR PRESERVING HISTORICAL PHOTOS

We run into this all the time also, and I can only second part of
what has been said already.  However, because of the cost we
don't do the 35mm film copies but only do the scans.  We tried
that over the years and it was just bustin' our budget; so when we
got a high-rez scanner we decided to cut out that step.  I know, I
know, in the best of all possible worlds we would make 4x5 copies
of everything, but Utah in the current budget climate (and given that
the state lege. is gunning, so to speak, for the University anyway;
in fact always is but more so than usual this year) this is the best
we can do.

So we do scan all photos, whether we return the originals or not,
as 400dpi tiffs, and 35mm slides at 1200 dpi.  Everything is backed
up six ways from the proverbial Sunday: two CD copies; the hard
drive; the library's servers; and a tape backup system.  While like
everyone else we wish we could get the originals to keep, scanning
them has actually opened up a whole new world of donors; for as
the original poster said many people don't want to give up their
heritage and heirlooms, but are willing to loan them for copying.
That way there's an insurance copy, in case they have a fire or a
toilet leak; plus we give them a CD as a public relations thing.
Works out great.

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections