Remote Storage

Hi folks -- After a search of the list's archives, I wanted to ask members
of the list a number of questions that we don't seem to have yet addressed
about remote storage:

Do you use a numbering or alpha system, and use dummies to indicate which
collections are remote?
Do you arrange by location code, not considering alpha or numeric
organization systems?
If you organize using location code -- can you comment on efficiency and
effectiveness of that system?
If you moved from an alpha or numeric system TO a location code system, can
you comment on how you did that and what problems you encountered?

These are currently hypothetical questions for me, and this is purely an
exercise in information gathering, but responses will help me
tremendously.  Also, if you know of any good articles on remote storage,
I'd be much obliged if you'd share them with me.

Best regards,
Amy Cooper

Amy Cooper
Special Collections Librarian