Database design query

Greetings, list,

We are designing an Access database for our Web site
that will cover the history of selected buildings on
our campus, intended for casual researchers who are
interested in basic information: date of construction,
architect, name history, etc.

To assemble this we will be pulling information from
several sources: our buildings vertical file,
photographs, and campus maps (for location info only,
though we might include scanned map images later). We
also plan to include additional-source citations for
those interested in deeper research.

Have any C&U archivists had experience with this kind
of project before? What data elements did you include?
Did you create a fully-local db from scratch, or did
you find a particular established format (MARC, Dublin
Core, etc) helpful? Perhaps a blend?

You may reply either to the list, or directly to me at
my email below (not my Yahoo account, please). If you
have a project like this already up on the Web to
show, please pass along the URL for it too, if you
wish.

Thank you in advance!

David McCartney
University of Iowa