Re: New Member

Thought I'd add yet another voice for experience.  I
have a MA in History from Cal State Northridge, my
prof there, Ron Davis, he involved most of his
students in an archival project in Natchez,
Mississippi.  I spent a couple of years there, off an
on, helping to process court records. While with Ron
and CSUN I helped with grant writing and putting
together a conference that is held every other year in
Natchez and supported by a number of archives
including Austin, New Orleans, Jackson and Chapel Hill
so I was able to meet lots of good folks.

 That lead to an internship at UT Austin at the Center
for American History processing the tag end of the
Natchez Trace Collection.  The latter took place en
route to U Maryland College Park where I began the
doctoral program in history.

To make a long story short, I found I got more out of
the records then the historians.  I worked for a year
researching for the Nuclear Test Personnel Review
Board, then got my MLIS at Catholic University with an
emphasis in Archives and Museum management.  While at
CU I worked in their archives arranging and
processing.  All of this led to my present position
with the Methodists, a position I just love!!!  I
really believe I got the position more for the
experience I've had than the degrees and cataloging
courses, but both helped.

Interning at Historical Societies is a wonderful way
to get experience and every one I know, including the
one here is always shorthanded.

Good luck, this path is a great deal of fun and so are
most of the people one meets!

Suni K. Johnson
Director of Archives and History
Baltimore-Washington Conference