Re: the quickly decaying web

I dunno.  As a webmaster (www.nycarchivists.org - like the quick product
tie-in?), I can say I don't change anywhere near 60% of the content over the
course of a YEAR much less three months.  Fact is, only certain information
really needs to be changed regularly - meeting notices, workshops, job
postings.  Things like "About Us" and "Contact Information" can go years
without changing, and there's really no need to change them more frequently
if the information is still valid.

I'm not convinced that anybody needs to update more than half their website
every 6 months or so; even something like a virtual exhibit that people like
us might put out on the web doesn't need to be more dynamic than 3-4 times a
year, and I doubt those exhibits take up 60% of the average site.  Frankly,
at my last job I don't think the percentage was anywhere near that high.
Sure the front page changed daily, and new Press Releases would come out
fairly often, but that's a lot of content to change regularly.

And basing your results on "Bill Gates Sucks" is likely to get a particular
sort of website, as opposed to, say "earnings statements", which brings in a
different class.  Well, if it was this guy's free time, he can spend it any
way he likes.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021