FF - Telemarketing

This appeared in my inbox this AM - in light of Dean's post, I thought I'd
share....   :)    ttfn - Jill in Alaska

  THREE LITTLE WORDS..

  I suppose some degree of commerce would grind to a halt if telephone
solicitors weren't able to call people at home during the dinner hour.
  But that doesn't make it any more pleasant.
  Now Steve Rubenstein, a writer for the San Francisco Chronicle, has
proposed "Three Little Words" based on his brief experience in a
telemarketing? operation -- that would stop the nuisance for all time.
  The three little words are "Hold on, please."
  Saying this while putting down your phone and walking off instead of
hanging up immediately -- would make each telemarketing call so
time-consuming that boiler rooms would grind to a halt.   When you
eventually hear the phone company's beep-beep-beep tone, you
know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently
completed its task.
  This might be one of those articles you'll want to e-mail to your
friends. Three little words that eliminate telephone soliciting.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov