Re: International Museums Day Diatribe

Dear Roger:

Why do you ask?

Over the past decade, I've seen little evidence that archivists pay any heed to Archives Week. In the years that I lived in Philadelphia, few of the many archivists in town participated in Archives Week activities.  Here in Chicago, my suggestions that we host an Archives Week were rejected.

Why?  Here are some likely explanations.  Some archivists work for repressive individuals, or organizations, that quash all attempts to promote or publicize our work; I know I have had such management.  Many of us suffer from overwork and understaffing to the point where any activity not strictly necessary to the day's demands is a luxury that we cannot afford; I know I have been that pressed.  Some of us don't see the value of educating others about what we do; this is an attitude that mystifies me, but I have met it often enough to know that it is common.  And there are party-poopers in every crowd; not guilty.  But posit that most of us Do pursue Archives Week with relish, and success.  How many of us will have the additional energy to do as much for Museums Day?

To what extent does the Society of American Archivists act cooperatively the American Association of Museums?  How much press has SAA given to this event?  How much does AAM give to Archives Week?  How much such mutual admiration is appropriate?

Now let us attempt to define "globalization".  The organization I work for does not have international branches, divisions, or subsidiaries.  But our membership is international, and our web site has international "usership".  Our collecting goals are also world-wide.  This gives us some international perspective, but it does not make us global.

E-mail has made contact with far-off folks cheaper than ever, increasing the traffic (call it "exchange of ideas") to an extent that I wouldn't know how to quantify. Ten years ago, I worked for an organization that sponsored research fellows from around the world.  The fellows' excitement at being able to communicate daily with their colleagues in all countries, for the first time, via e-mail, was an eye-opener for me.  Have new technologies introduced our collections to new audiences?  Has the use of our collections increased because of those technologies?  Has it increased because of those new audiences?  To what extent are those changes of an international character?  How international does something have to be before it can be considered "global"?  At the moment, the technology you are using to read this message cannot even be considered "national", in as much as it is not affordable, or available, to all.

Is there a global culture of archives, archivists, archival standards?  Certainly not to the extent that there is a global culture of fast food, and fashion.

I believe that these are questions worth asking.

Judy Robins, C. A.,
Collections Supervisor,
Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiologists
520 N. Northwest Highway
Park Ridge, IL  60068-2573

Tel:  847-825-5586

Fax:  847-825-1692