photos in dissertations. was: Re: OT:dissertation vs. book

Does OT mean off-topic then?  How about TOT for totally off-topic,
or maybe BOT for back on topic?  OOAT for off on a tangent?,
which is what I'm doing now...

I know, that was last week's funny.  Anyway, the topic of
dissertations made me think of our large collections thereof;
virtually every one ever produced by students at the University of
Utah, since the late 1800s.  Whole ranges full of them.  One thing
I've noticed in a surprising number of them, as I pull them for
requests at the reference desk, is how often they have real photos
glued in.  I've tried to get a project going in our spare time--as if!, as
my eldest would say--to locate those and scan them all.  A lot of
them are in the hard sciences but there are others as well.  One I
remember in particular was done in the early '30s about the history
of the gilsonite industry, and was full of photos taken at the time,
photos that are found nowhere else. The problem is I don't really
have the staff to sit down and thumb through them, which is what
you have to do, and identify those with photos.  I've tried to interest
the Western Americana folks but like me, they don't have the staff
to do this.  A good grant project if I ever had time to research and
write a grant!

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections