Re: conserving/restoring WWII dittoed newspaper; "A Poisoned Chal ice"

Perhaps there is a US Navy archives somewhere that has a legible copy of the
ship's paper. I know Maxwell AFB is the official US Air Force history
locale, and I would suspect the squids (:  have similar archives for USN
records from all over the world. Please explore that possibility. Those
archives  have made efforts to copy older dittoed things....I imagine the
paper on ditto is discolored, curled, faded.....sounds like a great project.
Also, there are reunion and military units websites, and maybe there is
someone from that ship who also has the newspaper is a more readible state.
Was there an information officer or information affairs officer (or whatever
title) on board? He might have copies or be able to assist in some way.

I have just begun to read "A Poisoned Chalice" by Freedman, who eloquently
praises archivists for their wonderful assistance in providing materials and
directions. Along the thread of dissertations and spin-offs, Freedman was
working on a dissertation when he found a reference to this poisoning of the
communion wine in a Zurich church.  Caused quite a ruckus, needless to say.
He finishes his dissertation, perhaps making reference to this document and
maybe not. Anyway, it piqued his curiosity, and when he began researching
this actual criminal event, some time later, it led to the book, "A Poisoned
Chalice".  Seems a mixture of intrigue, the criminal mind, religious
re-examination of the Enlightenment, and a host of other dynamics.  Were
church members killed? Did they find the perpetrator?  You will have to read
the book to find out!!

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library