Re: conserving/restoring WWII dittoed newspaper

I've been experimenting with color filters on a photocopier
to capture images.   Usually you find these in office supply stores
as plastic covers for student papers/theses.  I've been using the
yellow filter which seems to highlight light ink materials.  We can
darken the contrast on the photocopier but the entire image
darkens, thus the white paper background becomes grey, etc.

Also our campus photographer had a UV lens that fitted on the
35mm camera and it seemed to highlight faded ink materials that
we took pictures of.    My wife has also suggested these various
filters used on camera lights for dramatic productions.

Our basic problem here is a large number of early thermofax
images that can be barely read but the paper has browned too!
:/

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338