Donation Issues

One of the attorney's for our state department has suggested that it might
be a better solution to have archival and museum donations made to our
foundation rather than to our museum.  We are a state governmental agency.
He will be speaking to our collections committee about it, but I wanted to
get feedback from others who may have this in place or have considered this
as an option.  The attorney says donating to the foundation will take us
outside of some fairly stringent state requirements concerning the
disposition of unwanted property.  Opinions?  Cautions?
Thanks in advance....

I would also like opinions/perspective pertaining to the wisdom of carrying
out a project to solicit signatures on donor forms from the past that were
not signed.  This is primarly to address donations from five+ years past as
current practice assures that donor forms are indeed signed.   My personal
opinion on this has been to let "sleeping dogs" lie and acquire a signature
should the "dog awake" or the need arise for some reason.  Some of our
museum people are gung-ho on the idea of carrying out an extensive project
of this nature.  It would certainly affect the archives since donor forms
include both objects and papers/photos.  It seems that the registrar already
started the project and now one woman has asked for the materials to be
returned!

 Gayle Martinson
Archives Collection Manager
Wisconsin Veterans Museum