Electronic card locks for archives

The electronic locks are fairly positive.  Our doors have strong door-check
mechanisms which powerfully close them.  The electronic lock uses its own
bolt system operating on the top of the door and frame.  It does not depend
on the regular lock bolt or strike plate.  If the door closes, then the
electronic lock can be trusted to engage.  We do have some problem locations
where they can't seem to make these mechanisms work dependably, but they are
exceptions.

On our system, during any emergency, fire drill, etc., all the locks
disengage.  Therefore your security evaporates at that point.

Another problem I have is that our system is set up to allow access to
security, maintenance, cleaning, auditing people, and who knows who else.  I
have come to the conclusion that many, many unexpected people have access to
my area.  Our facilities management people have no interest in the
particular security problems of an archives and I have very little control
over who has access to my area.  I frequently find evidence of after-hours
visitors.  On occasion, facilities people have admitted unescorted users
oblivious to security concerns.  In a large organization, as elsewhere,
Mohammed goes to the mountain, not vice versa.

Christian C. Braig
PECO Energy Company Archives
2301 Market Street (N5-7)
Philadelphia, Pa.  19103
Voice: (215) 841-4359
FAX: (215) 841-5710
christian.braig@exeloncorp.com

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corporation
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject
to copyright belonging to the Exelon Corporation family of Companies.
This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments
to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any
printout. Thank You.