Off-topic -- Scritching Knife from Ohio, Wayne County

I've got a puzzler that I'm wondering if the collective could provide
some wisdom.

I am writing to you to seek assistance in determining the
purpose and function of an item housed in our archive's
memorabilia collection.

The item, labeled as a "Scritching Knife from Ohio, Wayne County,"
measures about 20" in length, has a rounded handle, and is
beveled on both sides, somewhat like the front face of a cricket bat.
 Does anyone have an idea what such an item was used for?

If you're interested, jpeg image files can be retrieved at:

http://www.wheaton.edu/learnres/ARCSC/gallery/knife1.jpg
http://www.wheaton.edu/learnres/ARCSC/gallery/knife2.jpg

Any assistance that you may offer would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I tried the Jedi Archives, but the very nice archivist there told
me that there simply was no record of such an artifact, thus it
couldn't really exist.

Posts can be sent privately, or to the list in order to initiate yet
another discussion on thread topics......

David B. Malone
Head, Archives and Special Collections
Buswell Memorial Library
Wheaton College
Wheaton, IL 60187-5593
David.B.Malone@wheaton.edu
630.752.5707             630.752.5855 FAX
630.265.9025 (pager)