stenciled chalk?

Aloha folks,

I have not seen this anywhere before so I bow to your collective wisdom.  We have an small photo album (Health for Hawaii: the Story in Pictures) with the nasty black paper complete with a title page, table of contents, chapter titles, all very useful.  However, the title, etc. seems to have been stenciled on with what looks like white chalk, which has been rubbing off since 1938.

I've been trying to think of ways to protect the chalk from any more rubbing.  Interleaving with acid-free tissue, paper, Mylar?  Any other suggestions?

Mahalo nui loa,
Judy Kearney
******************************
Judith A. Kearney, MLIS, CA
Mamiya Medical Heritage Center
Hawaii Medical Library
1221 Punchbowl Street
Honolulu HI 96813

808-536-9302 ext 112
fax 808-524-6956
email: kearney@hml.org

"On arrival at the islands, the climate will be found...extremely pleasant and equable, and not surpassed in salubrity by any in the world."
Chapin's Remarks on the Sandwich Islands, 1837.