Computer viruses was Re: Wierd Message Again

On Tue, 21 May 2002 11:03:53 -0400, Bob Schmidt <rschmidt@LIB.MUOHIO.EDU>
wrote:

>Just a very brief explanation of the strange
>message the list got from me this morning. There
>is a computer bug going around that raids address
>books and sends out bogus emails from those
>addresses without the person's knowlege.

This is an especially nasty little bug. Normally email viruses/worms don't
bother me because I use AOL as my email client and the vast majority of
email viruses are written to take advantage of MS Outlook. About ten days
ago I got infected with this virus. NOrmally with AOL I can look at a
computer virus because AOL requires that you download messages that are over
a certain size. This particular message was a zip file, the subject was
legit, the sender was familiar sounding etc. I downloaded the zip file,
opened the file but not the material in the zipfile since I saw it was an
executable.. I promptly deleted the file and the message. WRONG! the virus
still infected my machine, but it could not propagate itself since it cann't
 use AOL Mail. I was able to disinfect the machine with a utility from the
following website. It is free and I strongly urge everyone to download it
and run it against your computer to be safe. There is additional information
on the same site.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.h@mm.html

Peterk
pakurilecz@aol.com