numbering

Hello!

I'm looking for some examples of (internal, not accessioning) numbering
schemes for archival collections for a piece I'm writing on description for
neophytes. A colleague noted that people often obsess about how to number
series, subseries, folders, etc., and rightfully suggested giving a few
examples.

My text, so far, follows. Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

  Numbering schemes can become quite a headache; it is
  difficult to find ways to express all the possible
  levels.  If well conceived, numbering can make it much
  easier for researchers to request and cite materials.
  Decide whether to number folders throughout an entire
  collection, a series, a subseries, or box by box.
  Consider what to do if (when) you find additional
  folders or even have to add a new series.

  Some examples:
    - Series: Roman numeral; subseries: capital letter;
       folder: integer (II.A.007)
    - Series, subseries, folder: all numbers (2.1.007)
    - Box and folder: numbers (box 124, folder 9)

As always, many thanks!

Deborah Wythe
Brooklyn Museum of Art Archives
200 Eastern Parkway