Re: numbering

I spent some time working on a numbering scheme, which I describe in the
processing manual for the Heard Museum.  The numbering system is based on
the hierarchy of the collection, rather than traditional box and folder.
One advantage is that you don't have to go to any consternations to change
box/folder numbers if you ever rehouse the collection and find that box
numbers change.  It also supports hiearchical sorting.  Finally, it includes
a technique for numbering alphabetically sorted collections that need to
have accretions interfiled.

The processing manual is available in PDF at
http://rpm.lib.az.us/hapm/index.html

A caveat: Archival practice has certainly changed since I wrote the manual,
especially with the rise of EAD.  Still, given the nature of the collections
and the unusual opportunity to set practice with something of a clean slate
(rather than having to work around existing practices that would be
prohibitively complicated to revise), the policies/procedures in the manual
can be fairly generic and -- I hope -- easily adapted to other repositories.

I left the museum a few years ago and have not had a chance to think about
it since.  I would be interesting in hearing from people what they find
useful, parts they think are wrong or which need updating.

If you find it useful, you might drop the Heard Museum Library and Archives
a donation
    Heard Museum
    2301 N. Central Ave.
    Phoenix AZ 85004

Finally, credit where credit is due.  I am very fortunate to have had the
support and encouragement of Mario Nick Klimiades, Library and Archives
Manager for the Heard Museum.  The guide was written while I was on a
research fellowship at the Museum, supported by the Lila Wallace-Reader's
Digest Museum Accessibility Initiative.  The Wallace-Reader's Digest folk
should be recognized for their strong support of museums in the US.

Richard Pearce-Moses
 rpm9@mindspring.com