Re: music copyright

Title: RE: music copyright

Yes, ASCAP and BMI are the places to go, but I know that sometimes ASCAP holds the rights, but doesn't have the sheet music or soundtrack to go with it. A few years ago, another theatre contacted us to get the tape of a song to use in their production of a play we had done earlier. We had the tape and made them a copy for cost, and they paid royalties to ASCAP.

A couple other things to think about: I seem to recall that there are a lot of songs in public domain now from early in the last century unless the heirs have held on to the rights. And, even though Glenn Miller died during WW II, he would only probably be the arranger, not necessarily the composer.

Kit Leary
Oregon Shakespeare Festival