Re: Wierd Message Again/Vacation

At 10:22 AM 6/3/2002, Thomas Berry wrote:
I'd be suspicious of it just because of that phrase "I wish you would like
it." Translation: "I wish you'd open it and be infected." I got the same
phrase under the subject "A Very Good Tool."

(This is somewhat OT; if I'm doing wrong list Mom throw a thunderbolt at me.)

In cases like this Google is really your friend. Of course you should never
open
unsolicited attachments and you should always keep your anti-virus software
updated. But in the case where you don't know if something you get is a
virus and
you want to know (without actually opening the attachment) take something from
the e-mail's introductory message and plug it into Google. Thomas' example is
great. "I wish you would like it."

Take that phrase and plug it into Google with the word virus:

"I wish you would like it" virus

And you'll get a page full of virus warnings.

This works well for chain letters you get that claim you can earn money by
forwarding
mail, etc. These tend to evolve very little over time. Take an unusual
phrase from the
letter and plug it into Google with the word "hoax" and see if anything
pops up.

Best,

Tara
ResearchBuzz