Re: Raising money for vendors

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 09:41:31 -0500, Robins, Judith <J.Robins@ASAHQ.ORG>
wrote:

>>But I consider the attached advertisement to
be an inappropriate use of this list.  Equally, I consider his advice to
sell off the collection in order to "raise funds" to be unethical.<<

Mr. Mattox has posted his message to the list at least once a quarter since
about 1996. His total postings (checked via the listserv archives) is 26.
Not what I would call overly aggressive.

The topic of fundraising etc has been raised numerous times on this list
over the years. As such I have no problem with his posting, nor do I find it
unethical. Museums, libraries and I'm sure archives deaccession items all
the time. Look at how many times we see "free to good home" postings. If it
is ok to transfer items free to another institution why cann't items be sold
to raise funds for the institution? The only downside is if the donor
agreement does not allow for deaccessioning or sales.

As we all know it costs money lots of it to maintain and preserve
collections as well to provide access to the material.

Peter Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com