sugar cane v sugar beets

I already sent this to Carol Nowicke, through an embarrasing mistake.
But I thought you all might be interested.

> Michigan grows a lot of sugar beets and sugar there is certainly
cheaper
> than in Indiana.  Sugar beet pulp is processed into livestock feed.  I

> don't think there's use for cane after the juice is extracted.

The cane sugar process creates two by-products: molassas and dry cane
stalks, or
"bagasse."  Molasses (of course) is a nutrient-rich syrup that can be
used for
cooking, making rum, feeding livestock, or (in the bad old days) making
sure that
enslaved sugar factory workers got sufficient iron in their diet of rice
and yams.

Bagasse is a clean-burning fuel, used in sugar boilers and nowadays in
power
plants.  According to the journal "Livestock Research for Rural
Development," it
can be used as feed for cattle. (
http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd/lrrd2/2/osorio.htm)

Sorry, Michiganers....