Re: OT candy in archives

"I always had a feeling that soft drinks developed out of the medicinal
concuctions of the 19th century.  I wonder if the first recipes for
Coca-Cola or Pepsi-Cola were supposed to be remedies for any ailments or if
John Pemberton had patented any such 'cures' before he came up with Coke.
Now here's the archival question: Does anyone recall the reason why he
removed cocaine from the recipe (ca. 1903), was it litigious or just too
expensive?

Harrison Wick"

I'm not sure what it was originally used for, but I use a coke syrup to
calm an upset stomach either to try to prevent or about 1 hr. or so after
vomitting. Used to be you went to your pharmacist to get a bottle, and you
poured a teaspoon over crushed ice. I think that's why I like Coke vs.
Pepsi - it's got a more syruppy taste & it tends to calm my tummy (sipped
from a glass, of course - less bubbles). :)

Bridgette Kelly - second 'city' generation of Ohio farm stock