Re: The difference between assistant archivist and archivist

I'm not so sure the definition can always be stated clearly, because I often
think it has to do with the particulars of the organization.  Sure, if there
is an archivist, it can mean someone below them becomes the assistant
archivist,. but I know of at least one case where the AA was doing all the
managerial work, and might have been called "Archivist" somewhere else.

Clearly, if there is someone dealing with the major management decisions for
the archives, anyone below them should not share the title.  Sometimes, I
think, the title is given only because of salary considerations - here we go
again :( ; if they change your title, chances are they have to change your
pay scale, and that's often a critical factor.

Here, I'm the Archives Coordinator.  At my last post, I was the Corporate
Archivist.  That I have more control over the department here has nothing to
do with the title & everything to do with my change in supervisors.

I would say as a final thought that to be an "archivist" vs. an "assistant"
implies a certain level of managerial responsibility, unless they refer to
all introductory-level workers as the former, in which case it's simply a
nomenclature difference.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu