From: Elayne Goyette [mailto:EGoyette@NATIONALCIVILWARMUSEUM.ORG]
Sent: 13 June 2002 16:00
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: NTSC/PAL Electronics

Dear Colleagues:

As an avid BBC watcher, I've been wanting to purchase videos of programs
broadcast in the 60's.  Most of the programs are available in PAL only.
North American VCR's and DVD's are in NTSC.  I had ordered and received VHS
copies of The Forsyte Saga, only to have to send them back as they were in
PAL format and, therefore, wouldn't play through my American VCR.

Anyway, yesterday I received an AOL catalogue.  On page 7 they listed two
DVD/VCD/CD/MP3 players.  One of these advertisements states "NTSC/PAL
auto-playback.  Selectable screen aspect ratio...Component, composite and
S-VHS output."

Will this actually work?  What is S-VHS?  Could I view PAL Video's or DVD's
on my two year old North American television set?  Would I need a "high
resolution" TV, too?

I thank you all in advance,
Elayne (Masterpiece Theater/Mystery addict) Dobel Goyette
egoyette@nationalcivilwarmuseum.org