Re: What is a good archivist's resume???

I also think a good cover letter is essential, but in this age of applying on-line the web interface of some corporate job sites only allows for you to send in a resume.
In this case I suggest very careful reading of the job ad and then use of the key words that appear in the ad in your resume.  For many corporate archivist positions the HR department will be making the first cut and they are not going to bother (or know) to extrapolate that processing means appraise, arrange, catalog, etc.  Use their words and be specific.

Also, the cynic in me forces me to add that not only does personal info take up space it is irrelevant and can be detrimental to you application.  Age discrimination does exist, and if you think that the fact that you are of a certain age may raise an eyebrow, leave the dates of your degrees off the resume, and just include the last 10-15 years of work experience.  Then when you get the interview you can wow them with your expertise and overcome any stereotypes about older workers.

Jill

As usual, these opinions are my own and should not be construed to reflect my employer's positions, policies or practices.

Jill U. Jackson
Archivist
Vulcan Inc.
www.vulcan.com