Re: What is a good archivist's resume???

Another thought for new grads.

If you did volunteer work or had internships in archives, describe that work in terms of concrete accomplishments.  This practical for short term 'jobs' but not long term ones.  However, the same types of accomplishments (on a grander scale) are good for more seasoned archivists to highlight in their cover letters.

EX.

Archives Intern, Smith Archives, Sept. 2000 - May 2001
Arranged, organized, described and catalogued the papers of Jane Q. Smith (30 linear feet).
Indexed 1000 20th century photographs by subject, date and location.
Converted 12 print finding aids to EAD and mounted them on the archives website.

The above is more informative than:

Archives Intern, Smith Archives, Sept. 2000 - May 2001
Processed collections, indexed photographs, and converted finding aids to EAD format.

Jill

As usual, these opinions are my own and should not be construed to reflect my employer's positions, policies or practices.

Jill U. Jackson
Archivist
Vulcan Inc.
www.vulcan.com