Good Archival Resume

I agree with all of the suggestions that have been posted and wanted to
add some simple suggestions.

If you are a recent (or not so recent) graduate, you should make use of
your College Career Placement office.  They have trained professionals
that can help you to ensure that your resume and cover letters are ready
to be sent out.  I believe this is a free service for most colleges.  I
made great use of the hand-outs and suggestions that I received from
them.  And have used them for years.

Do your homework:
1. Some institutions may have a hiring freeze or budgetary issues.
2. Don't wait for them to come to you.  One of the reasons I got my
first job was my enthusiasm, of continually calling to let them know of
my great interest in the position.  (Which by the way the time-line was:
I sent the letter out in April, and didn't interview until June).
3. There are many web sites with career advice too.  Read up, and become
an expert on Resumes, Cover letters, and Interviewing techniques.
4. Relax.  As nervous as I was for prior interviews, I went into each
one thinking: "They want to give me this job.  They don't like having to
go through this process either"
5. Last tip: Prepare for the standard questions you may be asked.  And
have few of your own.  I think this shows that you want to make an
investment in the organization.  Remember you're interviewing them too.
You want to make sure it will be a good fit for you also.

I know I've missed things, but those are some things that helped me
along the way as a recent job hunter.

Best of luck
Colleen Couture
Archivist