more info needed - copying photographs

Thanks very much to those that have responded - but could you clarify regarding the type of film that was used??

My problem - before I came they did use inhouse personnel to make copy negs, and the quality was fair to good. The same person has recently photographed copy negs for me and the quality is not good.

Previously, the pictures had been taken in the school administration buildings where they had a stand, this time he took the photographs in his house.

I do not know what to attribute the decline in quality to? The lack of a stand, the film or the paper? I haven't checked the quality of the negs, I assume a bad print is from a bad negative.

If you can educate me I would appreciate it!

Jackie