Re: NTSC/PAL Electronics

 I have had several videos (in my personal collection) converted from PAL to NTSC format through Minnesota-based  www.vhsconversion.com. They charge about $15 for a 120 minute tape, and they do a fine job. I believe they also convert VHS to DVD, and handle such formats as S-VHS and SECAM.

  Elayne Goyette <EGoyette@NATIONALCIVILWARMUSEUM.ORG> wrote:

Dear Colleagues:

As an avid BBC watcher, I've been wanting to purchase videos of programs
broadcast in the 60's. Most of the programs are available in PAL only.
North American VCR's and DVD's are in NTSC. I had ordered and received VHS
copies of The Forsyte Saga, only to have to send them back as they were in
PAL format and, therefore, wouldn't play through my American VCR.

Anyway, yesterday I received an AOL catalogue. On page 7 they listed two
DVD/VCD/CD/MP3 players. One of these advertisements states "NTSC/PAL
auto-playback. Selectable screen aspect ratio...Component, composite and
S-VHS output."

Will this actually work? What is S-VHS? Could I view PAL Video's or DVD's
on my two year old North American television set? Would I need a "high
resolution" TV, too?

I thank you all in advance,
Elayne (Masterpiece Theater/Mystery addict! ) Dobel Goyette
egoyette@nationalcivilwarmuseum.org

In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
*or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES

Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt

Jennifer M. Stowe, Graduate Assistant
LISP, Purdy/Kresge Library
Wayne State University, Detroit

"When I get a little money I buy books;
and if any is left, I buy food and clothes."
-Erasmus

Do You Yahoo!?