Photographs

Title: Photographs

Good morning Archives Land!!    I have a question for discussion that I have not seen posted before .... if you have time.

 Recently I went to have my photograph taken for the church directory and was given a choice of "free" photo in a variety of finishes .... one of which gives me pause for concern as an archivist (I didn't select it).   The photo finish in question has a coating of "UV acrylic" (supposedly sprayed on)  which protects it from the ravishes of light, moisture and handling.   When it's framed, it should be without glass.   The questions that come to mind are:   Since it's obviously a finish that can't be reversed, what does it do long-term to the emulsion of the photo .....  Over the long haul, could the finish lift in places and cause areas where condensation could collect?    Since I didn't pick this variation, I'm curious if there's any data out there on this type of process and whether it has merit.

Lynne F. Wohleber
Archivist
Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh
325 Oliver Avenue