Catalogation of film promotional items

Hello,

I work in a film and art documentation center of a cultural institution but
I don't have any academical formation in cataloguing the special kind of
materials that conforms the center (the reasons for me to work here are very
complicated to explain).

However, we are trying to work responding to international rules, lerning
them at the time we apply them. Thats why I ask you for help.

The items to catalog are photographies of motion pictures works (what we
call still photographs), that arrives because of the cultural activity of
the institution where the center works.  These photographs arrive in a press
kit, together with slides, posters, post cards, press books, etc.

One problem is for example the main entry in the author field (is it the
producer of the film or the distributer of it?).  The other one has to do
with the rights to copy the photographs.  It is supposed that they are
designed to promote the film, so, can we show or exhibit them only in cases
of exhibition of the movie? or, can we use them for graphical purposses (to
ilustrate an article about the film for example)?

Thanks a lot and excuse my bad english.

Best regards,

Liliana Melgar
Centro de Documentación en Cine y Arte