Archiving Websites

One application I've just begun playing with is Teleport Pro
(http://www.tenmax.com).  It's a shareware product that costs $40 to
register.

The program creates a copy of a website for offline browsing on your own
hard drive.  One of the nice features is that it alters links so that they
continue to point within the copy you've created on your drive (rather than
pointing back out to the original server on the Web).  The revised link
includes a reference to the original URL to increase trustworthiness.

You can configure the program to capture only certain types of files (e.g.,
just .html or just .pdf, or certain combinations).  You can also configure
the  depth (how far away from the original link you want to go), and whether
you want to remain on the site or follow external links.

So far I am impressed.

I appreciate the mention of Acrobat to capture web pages.  With two minutes
of play, I am intrigued.  (By the way, it's worth checking to see if your
institution can get an educational license for Acrobat, which I believe is
under $100.)

The thing I find interesting about Acrobat is that it appears to wrap up
pages in a single, neat package, which we could send to COM or print to make
a preservation copy.  I'm not sure how I would get a hardcopy output for
sites I capture with Teleport Pro.

At my early stages of play, I see that the two tools may do something
different, and I may want to use them both.  Teleport Pro to get an archived
version that has pretty much the same look-and-feel, and Acrobat to get a
version I can send to long-term media.

Richard Pearce-Moses
 rpm9@mindspring.com