From: Ben Grillot [mailto:bgrillot@WAM.UMD.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 11:21 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Historic wallpaper conservation question

Valerie,

The two best books I can recommend on this topic are both by the same
author - Catherine L. Frangiamore.  The first, "Wallpapers in Historic
Preservation" was published in 1977 by the Technical Preservation Services
Division of the National Park Service.  I checked the GPO web page and the
Park Services' web page but it appears that this book is out of print.  It
provides a great overview of the history of wallpaper (both in
terms of technology and style) and a lengthy chapter on "Wallpaper Within
a Restoration Project."  In that chapter Ms. Frangiamore gives the
following basic practices to avoid:

        "DO NOT use Scotch tape, rubber cement or Duco cement to repair
minor tears.  Instead, use only chemically pure wallpaper paste to
readhere torn papers to the walls.  DO NOT varnish or shellac the paper or
spray it with a fixative, as these tend to darken and discolor the paper
as well add a glossy sheen, uncharacteristic of wallpapers.  If protection
is needed for old papers, especially near doorways where visitors will be
tempted to touch them, cover the papers with sheets of Plexiglas, mounted
on blocks that hold it about one-fourth inch or so from the wall, allowing
circulation of air and preventing condensation under the paper."

Another, comparable, book on the subject by Ms. Frangiamore was published
by the AASLH in 1974, is "Rescuing Historic Wallpaper: Identification,
Preservation, Restoration."  We don't have a copy here at NTL but it might
be possible for you to obtain it at a local university library.

A search of WorldCat turns up a dissertation done at the University of
Kansas by Sara Gans entitled "Restoration and Preservation Techniques and
Concerns of Historic Wallpapers" that might also be of help.

I hope this information is helpful.  Feel free to contact the National
Trust Library with any further questions at <nt_library@umail.umd.edu>.

Ben

Ben Grillot
Graduate Assistant
National Trust for Historic Preservation Library
University of Maryland, College Park