users and Big Rock Candy Mountain

Boy, you go down the river for a few days and people start talking about you.  Yes, Big Rock Candy Mountain is in Utah, named after the popular song.  It's along US 89, south of Richfield, Utah (on the way down'ta Panguitch) in the canyon of the Sevier River.  It's a particular rock formation where the layers are multi-colored and appear to have flowed down, giving, sort of if you squint, the appearance of rock candy.  There's a cheesy tourist trap nearby that comes and goes; sometimes when you drive by it's closed, sometimes open, selling rock candy, real rocks, plastic Indian tomahawks, and so on.  Near the ramshackle buildings are signs pointing to "Lemonade Springs" and so on.  Actually the drive south on US89 from Richfield is quite nice, much more scenic, if a lot slower, than the high-speed-blast on I-15 which is one mountain range to the west.  You also go by Butch Cassidy's childhood home, in Circleville, and scenic little villages like Hatch, Orderville, Mt. Carmel Junction, and so on.  It's a good back way into Zion National Park.

Anyway, I was cheered to read the messages about users and their demands; I just love telling some hotshot media company (although it's usually some poor intern) that if you don't like the fees and the terms of the agreement, find that one-of-a-kind photo somewhere else and have a nice day.  I have signed some agreements but only after I go over them carefully and strike out the clauses I don't like; again, if they don't like that, tough luck.  As if I, personally, or the University of Utah, am going to indemnify Time-Warner!!  Get real!!  It amazes me that people think that because they are working for the BBC or Newsweek or Time-Warner that they can tell you how to manage your collections.  I've stopped short of telling them where to get off but I have, on many occasions, said just what a couple of people on the list said: this is *our* photograph, so if you want to use it *we* are dictating the terms, no exceptions.

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections Dept.
J. Willard Marriott Library