RESOURCE: New Database About Early Asian Immigrants to the US

Gentle Listmates (even though lots of you are on vacation),

Thank you for the advice on protocol. I'll try to figure out a header that
clearly identifies my resource contributions. Feel free to send feedback.
And now, a resource.

Happy 4,

Tara

---

** New Database About Early Asian Immigrants to the US

UC-Berkeley and the National Archives and Records
Administration have teamed up to create EARS -- the Early
Arrivals Records Search (EARS) database -- at
http://groups.haas.berkeley.edu/iber/casefiles .

Several million people came through immigration stations in
San Francisco and Honolulu between 1882 and 1955. The
database covers investigations of people who tried to
immigrate during the period of the Chinese Exclusion Act,
1882-1943. Other laws during the same period restricted
immigration to people arriving from India, Japan, Korea, the
Philippines, and other Asian countries.

The database doesn't contain all the materials about the
people mentioned -- those are available at the National
Archives in San Bruno, CA. What the site does contain is a
case number about a particular individual if available and
some basic information about them.

Searching is available by several variables, including name,
birth place, port, and ship. You can view the results on
screen or download them to an Excel file. A search for
"Yamamoto" found 11 results. Information provided includes
name, case number, ship, date of arrival, birthplace
(country) date of birth (the ones I saw had just the year),
age, gender, and port.

Link:
http://www.researchbuzz.com/news/2002/june27july302.shtml#newdatabase