Re: Spanish language question

You might want to take a look at the website "Repositories of Primary Sources" that Terry Abraham maintains at the University of Idaho (http://www.uidaho.edu/special-collections/Other.Repositories.html), and look at some of the institutions that are listed under Latin America.  Even if you don't speak much Spanish, you can still compare how they use the terms "archivo" and "coleccion."

Although my own Spanish is pretty shaky (just two years of college), my Mexican in-laws usually correct me when I am speaking about archival records groups or manuscript collections, and use the word "fondo," reserving "archivo" mainly to describe institutions.  On the other hand, I have the impression that "coleccion" is used to describe an artificial collection of material gathered together by a third party, which sound like what you are describing.  Perhaps a "Colecion de literatura medica" or something like that.  However, I stand open to correction from those more fluent in the language.

Regards,

Brad Bauer
Archivist
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
210 Parkside Drive, P.O. Box 488
West Branch, IA  52358
tel. (319) 643-5301
e-mail:  brad.bauer@nara.gov

>>> Lynn Stewart <lstewart@NAL.USDA.GOV> 07/09/02 08:23AM >>>
We have a collection which contains a large amount of Spanish language
materials and we are planning Spanish language outreach materials.  We have
access to excellent translation services, but they are not necessarily up on
"best practice" in collection naming conventions in Spanish language
archives and manuscript repositories.  It is a collection, rather than
papers or records.

For instance, would "Whatever Colección" be more appropriate than "Archivo
del Whatever."   Or would it be "Colección del Whatever?"

Thanks in advance,
Lynn Stewart
Lynn Jones Stewart
Special Collections