Papers of a judge and privacy issues

Listserv members:

My repository specializes in collecting congressional papers, but we have
one collection of a former congressman who later became a state judge,
serving on a number of county, banking, and appellate courts.  We are now
processing the series containing his judicial papers, which include
documents on a variety of court cases--divorce, civil, criminal--dating
from the 1950s to the 1970s.  Some of the items have the stamp of a
particular court, and we suspect that these are copies of documents in the
official court files.  Other documents are not so stamped, are we are
considering these unique.  As far as we can tell, these documents do not
belong with the official court files.  We are familiar with appraisal and
privacy issues concerning congressional papers but not for judicial
papers.  We suspect that there are similar issues, though.  While we have
contacted our university's legal counsel and are waiting to hear back from
him, we are also interested in knowing how other archivists have handled
court documents in their collections.  We will appreciate any input.

Todd Kosmerick

Todd Kosmerick                  kosmerick@ou.edu
Carl Albert Center                      (405) 325-5045 or 325-5401 (tel.)
University of Oklahoma                  (405) 325-6419 (fax)
630 Parrington Oval, Rm 101
Norman, OK  73019 USA