Marketing Archives on CDs

My department is considering marketing our archives on CDs.  We are
envisioning creating interpretive works, such as virtual publications or
exhibits that will highlight our most significant holdings.  We're
familiar with companies that do this, but I want to know if any
archivists have done it.  If so, what hardware and software do you
recommend?  What navigation tools are desirable?  Should files be in
pdf, html, or other format?  Please post your replies to the list and
not to me. Many thanks!

Casey Edward Greene
Head of Special Collections
Rosenberg Library