Re: Transcription protocols

One work that I have found very helpful on these and related topics is A
Guide to Documentary Editing by Mary-Jo Kline.  It was prepared for the
Association for Documentary Editing and is published by Johns Hopkins
University Press.  The edition I have is the second, which I believe is the
latest.  The ISBN for the paperback edition is 0-8018-5686-8.

Hope this helps,

Nick Finke

Nicholas D. Finke                    Ph:513-412-6949
Digital Collections Librarian      Fx:513-241-7131
National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
312 Elm St., Suite 1250
Cincinnati, OH 45202
E-mail: nfinke@nurfc.org
Web: http://www.undergroundrailroad.org

                      "Toth, Alex R."
                      <tothalex@PACIFICU.        To:       ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                      EDU>                       cc:
                      Sent by: Archives &        Subject:  Transcription protocols
                      Archivists
                      <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.
                      MUOHIO.EDU>

                      07/09/2002 02:52 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Toth, Alex R."

I would welcome any suggestions regarding standards or protocols for
transcribing letters and diaries.
I have some summer work study students available to transcribe (cursive to
typescript) some pioneer
diaries and correspondence.  Is there a  standard set of protocols someone
might care to recommend
for use in such work?

I've searched WORLCAT and have found  numerous examples of transcribed
diaries, letters, etc., but as of yet,
no  guide that would include a standardized way of indicating such things
as
indecipherable words,
misspellings, omissions, etc.  I've checked several of the oral history
volumes in our collection with regard to creating
transcriptions, but these offered little help since they were written for
an
entirely different purpose.

I am on digest mode so you can email the list or me directly at the address
below.

Again, any assistance or thoughts about this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Alex Toth
Social Sciences/Special Collections Librarian
Harvey W. Scott Memorial Library
Pacific University
2043 College Way
Forest Grove, OR 97116

Phone (503) 359-2737  Fax (503) 359-2236
Email <tothalex@pacificu.edu>