Re: Strange Reference Questions

Dean,

When I was working at the Rosenberg Library in Galveston, Texas, we would
occasionally get requests for maps showing where Jean Lafitte's treasure is
buried, the Three Trees (where he supposedly buried the treasure) and other
locations where people could go metal detector hunting.   (Keeping in mind
that the city of Galveston was RAISED between 1904-1910 approximately 2 - 15
feet high.  So everything pre-1904 is underneath a good covering of sand
from the Bay.)  I would be surprised if there is *any* portion of Galveston
Island not already covered by someone with a metal detector - at last twice!

The other odd request that comes to mind is when I worked as an intern for
the White House (pre-internet).   And we'd get phone calls asking questions
like "What number President is Bush?"   Hello? You have to call the White
House for that?  Call your local public library!   (#41).   And "What color
is the White House?"  (For the record, it's Whisper White)

Shelly Henley Kelly

UHCL University Archivist

Neumann Library
University of Houston Clear Lake