Re: strange reference questions

The other day, I picked up the phone to be greeted by the question
"Is the red deer the king of all deer?" It turns out this guy is
doing research on biblical animals. (No secret coded messages,
sorry.) I guess he thinks a  natural history museum is the logical
place to provide an answer to this question.

--Marla

Listers:

Here I go again. I am chair of a panel discussion at our upcoming SAA
meeting on archival reference services. I am collection "strange" "strange"
and "stranger" reference questions you might have received. One of my
strangest was a man who called seeking the "secret" formula for making a
certain kind of hot dog called a "cheese dog", the process of which was lost
when the inventor was killed in a plane crash. And then there was the man
who came into the Research Room with a live bird on his shoulder ...

Thanks.

Russell P. Baker, CA
Arkansas History Commission and State Archives
One Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
501-682-6900
www.ark-ives.com
russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us <mailto:russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us>

         <(')    (')> <(') <(')  (')> <(')    (')>
           ( \    / )      ( \   ( \  / )     ( \    / )
(')>
Marla Krauss                                                 /\

Special Collections Librarian for Vertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
(212) 769-5981, krauss@amnh.org              /\^..^/\
                               ..