Subject: Public Library Receiving Early City Archives
From: Lish Thompson <thompsonl@ccl.charleston.lib.sc.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:03:19 -0400

Hello all,
We have a unique situation here in the South Carolina History and Genealogy
Room of the Charleston County Public Library -- one of which, I hope some of
you can advise us.  We have recently received the bulk (two truckloads) of
Charleston City's early archives, which has records dating back to about
1790 and go up to around 1940.  These records include all known records of
the Charleston Orphan House, which was one of the oldest orphanages in
America, the City Fire Department, Assessor's Office, Cash Books from
various departments and numerous other early city agencies, etc.

In our public library, our primary concern is security for these one-of-kind
ledgers.  We're planning to microfilm many of the books, and the City has
already done some for us.  Have any of you had this experience and how did
you deal with the public?  What problems did you incur with their usage, and
how did you deal with them?  We have not yet officially announced that we
have these records because we want to have security measures in place
beforehand to be ready for the influx of people that will want to use them.

Thank you for your time and attention to this email, and I will appreciate
any recommendations you may have.

Lish Thompson, Librarian
South Carolina Room
Charleston County Public Library